The June 16th issue of the Press-Herald is full of Wilkie news! Pick up a copy so you can read about and see:
- a tribute dinner and retirement celebrations for Wilkie and District firefighters;
- Norman Carter School’s track and field day;
- some statistics from the Wilkie library and what they have planned coming up; and
- an NSRBL update.
Fireworks photos too from last Friday’s Jump Into Summer/Canada 150 celebrations!
Read all about a McLurg student’s study on food dyes, which got her to the National Science Fair, in the June 9th issue of the Unity Wilkie Press-Herald! In the local newspaper, you will also find:
- interviews with parents and others about the elimination of the town school bus, starting with the 2017-18 school year;
- details on all the plans for Canada 150 celebrations in Wilkie and Luseland – Wilkie’s celebrations start with fireworks June 9;
- an article on Unity’s 2017 Citizen of the Year – Si Campbell; and
- results for Wilkie students who competed at provincial track and field in Saskatoon.
Check out page 2 of the June 2nd Unity Wilkie Press-Herald for the list of addresses for Unity’s town-wide garage sale days, next weekend, June 9, 10 and 11. Also in tomorrow’s paper:
- a photo and write-up on Norman Carter’s drama production of What Happened After Once Upon a Time;
- an introduction to the three contestants running for Unity Rodeo Queen; the winner will be crowned this Sunday, June 4, at the 2 p.m. rodeo;
- a map of Saturday, June 1’st Western Days parade route;
- what many have been waiting for, a new RV sani-dump station in Unity, details in the paper; and
RCMP reports, pictures of kids at Unity Public School track and field and lots of odds and ends you won’t learn about or see anywhere else. Grab a copy at your local newsstand or subscribe by calling 228-2267!
Below, fielding for the Wilkie Brewers in their May 30th game against the Border City Blue Jays is no. 18, Dustin Glackin. The photos were taken seconds apart. Note the ball in the air in the first photo!
Lots of Wilkie news in the May 12 Unity Wilkie Press-Herald community newspaper! Check it out for:
- a full-page feature on the Wilkie Golf Course;
- details on what cuts the Living Sky School Division is looking at, to eliminate a $6 million deficit;
- photos and notes from the benefit for the Veit boys and the Wilkie trade show; and
- details on the new marijuana legislation as well as opinions pro and con.
Below, Outlaws on the golf course during the Outlaws 100th anniversary weekend celebrations in 2015:
April has arrived, spring has sprung and the first April 2017 issue of the Unity Wilkie Press-Herald will be available for readers who want to:
- find out what being Canadian means to McLurg’s graduating students;
- learn what an expert has to say about kids and social media;
- see photos of Unity actors in action in the play Drinking Habits; and
- get an update on what happened in high school basketball this year.
Be sure to check out the advertisements too for more details on the many events listed on our , along with sales and specials at several local and area businesses.
It must be spring – the geese have arrived!
It has been a busy March for Wilkie and the surrounding communities and the March 24th issue of the Unity Wilkie Press-Herald reflects that. Check it out for lots of photos and stories, including:
- a Hockeyville update and quotes from the rally at the Saskcan Community Centre last Saturday night;
- information from the annual Delta Co-op meeting, this year held in Unity;
- photos and bios of the adjudicators for the upcoming Unity Music Festival; and
- one McLurg student wins provincial gold in wrestling and another is a provincial hockey champion!
A screen was set up on the ice at the Saskcan Community Centre in Wilkie SK to show Hockey NIght in Canada March 18. Anticipation was high when the top two finalists for the title of Kraft Hockeyville 2017 were announced, but it was not to be. As remarked upon by many in attendance though, with Ituna representing the Western region, “still Saskatchewan.” The final announcement will be made April 1.
Whether you’re a farmer or a townsperson, you will want to read about life on a family farm, a special feature in the Unity Wilkie Press-Herald’s annual Agriculture Safety Week special supplement, part of this Friday’s paper! Along with the special farming supplement, you will find lots more in the March 17th issue, including:
- Lots of Kraft Hockeyville details, including voting photos and an exclusive Press-Herald interview with a senior brand manager for Kraft-Heinz;
- An update on the wrestlers as the high school team heads to provincials this weekend;
- Senior high school curling results and photos; and
- Reports from the first-of-five of the SWHL final and the Outlaws’ win against Kindersley for the Northern provincial championship.
Also part of the ag pages this week, a feature on a local farmer who has turned to raising goats for fun and profit! Below, a photo of one of his 100-plus goats:
All the details on the BIG news from two communities in the March 10th Unity Wilkie Press-Herald! Check it out for:
- Wilkie’s successful bid for top 10 in Kraft Hockeyville; and
- Unity’s $35,000-plus donation to Telemiracle 41.
And yes, there’s other news too – a report and photos from the Wilkie Karate Tournament, a report on the opening of a new nurturing room for parents and infants at the Unity Community Resource Centre, an extensive report on the work needed to host the very successful Unity Music Festival (this year running from April 3 to 7 and in its 91st year) along with all the regular fare of RCMP reports, hockey reports and more.
7 am Sunday, March 12 to 9:59 pm Monday, March 13
Small but mighty – that’s the February 24th issue of the Unity Wilkie Press-Herald! Check it out for:
- all the details on population changes in area towns, villages and RMs;
- an explanation of new equipment being used by the RCMP;
- details on a special Hockeyville event in town March 4; and
- all the latest hockey playoff reports.
There is an interview with local school board rep Todd Miller too!
Below, Saskatchewan’s Alanna Liu, who finished 13th at the Canadian championships, will be performing in Unity at a special Skate Saskatchewan event, March 8 at the Unity arena, hosted by the Unity Skating C
Skate Saskatchewan photo
You don’t want to miss the February 10th issue of the Unity Wilkie Press-Herald. There is a little bit of everything in it. Check it out for the two pages of babies alone, to say nothing of:
- a bouquet from former area residents for Wilkie first responders, firefighters and RCMP;
- a short report on a special project by former Norman Carter students;
- an update on Wilkie’s road to Kraft Hockeyville 2017; and
- a report on the Outlaws’ first two provincials games.
Of course, there is also other hockey updates, results of Unity’s men’s open bonspiel, Blast from the Past, an RCMP report and more.